The Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act is coming to a vote on the Senate floor this week and your support is needed to make sure that it passes. We urge you to make two phone calls, one to each senator that should take no longer that 45 seconds each.
There are reports of 300,000 letters and calls from right-wing groups trying to stop it. Anti-LGBT leaders like Focus on the Family’s James Dobson are referring to the bill as the “Pedophile Protection Act,” and calling it “utter evil.”
If you’ve never called Congress, it’s incredibly easy:
1. Call both of your senators and tell them to vote YES on the hate crimes bill. Call the switchboard at 202-224-3121 or use the following link to find your senator’s contact information: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
2. Most likely, one of your senator’s interns will answer and ask where you’re calling from and why. Inform the intern you’re calling to urge the Senator to vote for the Matthew Shepard Act (S. 909). Most calls-end right there. But if you like, you can add:
* Hate crimes against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are on the rise.
* One out of every six hate crimes is because of the victim’s sexual orientation.
* Hate crimes have more than one victim. They are intended to create an atmosphere of fear and terrorize entire communities.
3. Hang up and call your other state senator
Thank you!!!!! PLEASE DO YOUR PART!